Saturday, September 18, 2010

Another Friday has passed and with it another Saturday arrives. Last Saturday evening was spent in the Waipara Memorial Hall watching the stage performance of "The Best Little Whore House in Texas". I am still smiling form the experience. Back home such a performance would be skipped over or possibly noted with slim attendance, however in the boondoos of New Zealand the show was Sold Out form Opening night of Tuesday to the Performance Wrap on Saturday with two shows on Friday and Saturday included. The attire was New Zealand Nice. Wellys left at the door, hair combed, Button up finest flannel, and dusted off sport coat. As we took our seats William asked me what I thought of the Waipara "talent"? The best dressed hens of Waipara ranging form 45 and up. I still couldn't help but smile at the collection of mismatching chairs and bleachers filled with honest folks out to enjoy themselves on a Saturday Night Out. The play one the other hand was a hoot and a holler. Singing, dancing, Cussing like you wouldn't believe, and a scene filled with nudity. I laughed and cheered along side life long Kiwi farmers in a ritual of community theater and NZ decadence. The night concluded with a walk home under a bright encore performance of the Milky Way far above. I went to bed that night with a smile, a smile I still find here with me 6 days later and one more Saturday to pass.

The week was a busy one. The weather shifted like the tides but underneath it the promising signs of Spring growth are shining through. Bud burst is now giving way to emerging foliage. Daffodils are blooming fully and Tulips are soon to arrive. Spring has sprung.

I take the dogs down to the river for about four hours of Rabbit hunting each day. Some days we are spoiled with multiple rabbits others I wonder why we even started digging in the first place. But every day we head off I am reminded why I enjoy doing it. I have never had a dog of my own and this seems to be the closest I have ever got. About 15 minutes after I finish lunch I am greeted by one of them, some times both, with longing eyes and often a big sigh as if to be releasing the final bits of their patience. All it takes is me putting on my regular brown long sleeve shirt and with that the tails wag without control from tail tip to ears and the yips and yelps start. Once we get down to the river I just forget everything. I love watching those two run around sniffing out every scent they can find, barking at and to one another, as I watch and patiently await for when they bark to me that they have found a Rabbit. I walk and think, and more times than not I don't. I just take in the river bed I have come to know. I breath and observe. A part of this has become some what of a sanctuary for me. Sometimes I see it that I am out being active so I wont have time for thinking about home and for feeling lonely. Yet to think of that I realize I hardly do any more. I guess what I like the most about my afternoons with the dogs is the time I have on my own in the fashion I choose. I remember a conversation and resolution I came to with a friend before I left for NZ. I discussed with her how I felt with some circumstances in my life I was pushed to grow up faster than other kids and that I look forward to going to New Zealand, for when I got there I could just... Play. And that is how I see it along the river. I am playing. I dig in the dirt, I find all sorts of alive and dead critters, I get cut and dirty, often I get caught by rain clouds I didn't see coming. I wish I could have a picture of what is a common sight that can be seen when I am down at that river bed. My head in a rabbit hole rump in the air and both dogs the same. At 24 I know I am still a kid at heart and thus I plan to be for another 24.

All you folks think you own my life
But you never made any sacrifice
Demons they are on my trail
I'm standing at the crossroads of the hell
I look to the left I look to the right
There're hands that grab me on every side

All you folks think I got my price
At which I'll sell all that is mine
You think money rules when all else fails
Go sell your soul and keep your shell
I'm trying to protect what I keep inside
All the reasons why I live my life

Some say the devil be a mystical thing
I say the devil he a walking man
He a fool he a liar conjurer and a thief
He try to tell you what you want
Try to tell you what you need

Standing at the point
The road it cross you down
What is at your back
Which way do you turn
Who will come to find you first
Your devils or your gods

All you folks think you run my life
Say I should be willing to comprimise
I say all you demons go back to hell
I'll save my soul save myself

Crossroads
Tracy Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment